Friday, November 29, 2019

My Thread Bits: In The Beginning...


We all remember our first time trying a new craft. The excitement, the fun.. the frustration.. the mistakes..Ahh. We live and we learn, right? I sure did! Before YouTube taught us "everything", I had to rely on books and a few TV programs to teach me.

I'll admit, I really thought I knew what I was doing in the beginning. I seen all the pretty fabrics and all the pretty quilt blocks and I was hooked! At the time, I was really into blocks like pointy Stars. Surprisingly, having never sewn before and never been taught, I picked up on making those points "pointy" pretty quickly.
Matching fabric on the other hand.. well I'll let my first quilt speak for itself.


The above is my first attempt at piecing. Such busy prints! The tones in the different blues did not match well at all! The fabric for the background of the squares is entirely too busy with print and color to truly accentuate the entire piece.

A book that really, truly helped me was titled The Quilter's Quick Reference Guide (That Patchwork Place) by Candace Eisner Strick. It covers everything from color and fabric, to piecing and even applique, and finally putting it all together and quilting it. It's Copyright 2004, but it's still so very much useful today.



I had a website from around 2006 through 2013. It was Pattern Patch Quilts. I had a handful of quilt patterns that I designed. Alas, all of them have been lost. So I've decided to start new! My Thread Bits will mostly be me sharing what I sew and/or quilt.

So, to tease the crafter in you, here's a peek at my palette for my current project!


There's likely going to be a fabric or two added to this palette. The above is only the center design.

I'm so glad you stopped by to read my post and I hope you'll come back as I add more photos of my sewing projects!

XOXOXOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment